Thursday, July 15, 2010

How Many Calories Burned?

As I mentioned previously I have been using a program called LoseIt to track my caloric intake and also to record my calories burned via exercise. I have always been suspicious of the exercise calories the program gave me credit for. In particular to golf numbers.

I did a little research and figured out that the most accurate way to track my calories was a heart rate monitor. This device consists of a watch and a strap that you put on your chest. The strap transmits your heart rate to the watch for real time feedback. I looked at many models and went with the Polar FT7 product. I have been very pleased with the investment to date.

What have I found to date? The walking calories burned were very close to the LoseIt programs. The stationary bike numbers were off significantly. With the heart rate monitor my calories burned were 15% less than the program. I had similar results with running, the heart rate monitor recorded less calories burned.

This has been valuable information as I had been overstating my exercise calories burned for many months now. Bottom line, invest in a heart rate monitor if you are an analytical sort (like me).

Today's biking was really really hard! I did 20k in the pounding heat and humidity in 40:42. When I was done I was close to puking, I needed to cool down in an air conditioned room instantly. Be careful out there in the heat!!!

Here is a picture of my daughter and I after a training session!

1 comment:

  1. I have definitely been suspicious of the exercise calories also. I always shave off time from my exercise & activities when I log and I only eat into my exercise calories rarely. I don't have the money for extra gadgets to be more accurate, but I think I'm playing it pretty safe.

    ReplyDelete