Monday, July 12, 2010

2010 - Year of Healthy Living?

So as I entered 2010 most of the aspects of my life were under control. I have a loving wife who is a fabulous mother to our two children. The two teens are growing up into highly functional individuals in society. Our daughter is very driven and strives for perfection, takes after my wife, and my son is a free spirit with no worries except how much he can play guitar, sounds like me!

The only thing that had nagged at me for years was my health. I was overweight and feeling lathargic. It was not a body weight issue but a quality of life issue. I don't want to get old and not be able to enjoy retirement due to my health. I had been at this point before so what makes this year any different. That is a difficult question to answer. I would guess it is that I am ready to make a change this time rather than feeling like I should do something. So what has happened since January?

I began a personal fitness and eating program. This was something I researched and acomplished solo, as opposed to a personal trainer situation. Since January I have either walk/jogged, or road my bike every day (I think I missed a couple days when I had a cold). At first it was a drag but now I am at the point where is I don't do some intentional physical activity I feel like I have let myself down. I set myself a goal by signing up for a Duathon early in May. This involved training to prepare for the 2.5k run - 20k bike - 2.5k run. This provided me with the motivation I needed to keep going. I made it to May and completeds the race in 1:13. Not a blistering speed but good considering where I had come from. I am now scheduled for another race in mid August. This one is longer so will be more of a challenge (2.5k run - 20k bike - 5k run).

I see the corresponding weight loss as a nice by-product of all my training. I am down 49lbs from my highest weight a few years back, most of it since January. I have been using an iPhone app called LoseIt to assist with my daily planning of calories in vs. calories out, and have met some wonderfully inspiring people on that website.

What can I do top my progress during the first half of 2010? Only time will tell........

No comments:

Post a Comment