Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Down to the wire

So here it is July 27th and I feel very unprepared for my upcoming Duathon on August 14th. I registered for this event months ago and I have been training but it never feels like enough. Maybe I am not cut out for this stuff. This past weekend I mapped out a full distance course by my house (2.5 k run, 20k bike, 5k run). I used my driveway as a transition zone, put on my heart monitor, and clicked start! The first 2.5k run I felt good coming in around 14 minutes. I fumbled around in the transition zone putting on a helmet, changing shoes, etc and then I was on my way on the bike. It was a relatively windy day so the first half of the bike course was brutal. Once I hit the turnaround point things felt better. I have been testing some nutritional products so as I was riding the second half of the bike route I had a Hammer Gel single pack thingy, Apple Cinnamon and it was actually good. It was hot out so unfortunately the gel was more like a fluid and it got messy. The good news is that it did not cause me any abdominal discomfort! So I completed the bike in 44 minutes. For those who are challenged at math this meant I had a 5k run left to do and I was at the 58 minute mark. This is where the fun began. The first 2k I thought I was doing ok but then came the brick wall. I have noticed that when I take a walk break it is all downhill from that point. It is just hard to get a good pace going again and it ultimately results in more walking. In the end my time was 1:29:54 which beat my goal of being under 1:30 but it was close. I wanted a cushion so that I "KNOW" I can break the 1:30 barrier in the real race. Mind games at work here.

A little over two weeks left to train, one of those weeks I am in Orlando on vacation, maybe I should skip this one.

Oh, a additional note, I am over the 50lb weight loss point now!

No comments:

Post a Comment