Sunday, July 10, 2011

Open Water Swimming

Ok, so I am not a "natural" swimmer. I have been training in the pool over the past few months to build up my confidence a bit. I felt like it was time to venture out into the open water. Talk about scary! I mean if I get anxious there is no side of the pool to grab. I started by investing in a wetsuit. After some investigation I decided on a BlueSeventy Axis wetsuit. These wetsuits are made for people who are poor swimmers, so they are not fast, but they are buoyant!

So yesterday I headed out to the St. Lawrence river with Jackie as my spotter. It was not the best entrance point that I picked as it was very rocky, in fact I cut my foot getting in. Once I started swimming everything was AWESOME! I had no issues and swam anxiety free for about 20 minutes. I could really feel the extra buoyancy that the wetsuit provided.

So, time for some serious training in preparation for another triathlon, this one in open water, in mid August.

Be safe everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment